Wednesday, September 12, 2007

To recognize...


...is my favourite verb, first of all because you can recognize something without necessarily stating an opinion on it. which is very good for keeping the peace. which is insanely useful for myself, because otherwise i'll have no idea how to go about maintaining any level of neutrality when someone is aggravating me. second of all, because it is a handy verb when dealing with matters of personal growth. again, without really determining a position. it kind of identifies something so you can then decide how you feel about it.

examples given:

i. i recognize that i have a low tolerance for irritating people. but i'm okay with that because someone needs to verbally state the opinion of the general public.
ii. i recognize that sharing my opinion with other people does not make it less valid. i also recognize that i just greatly prefer living, for the most part, inside my head, because i tend to talk before i've fully thought out an idea.
iii. i put on a plaid shirt today to help me keep warm. i recognize that it kind of makes me look scruffy and dirty. i don't mind!

No comments: